Contrary to my usual practice, I made two “New Year’s resolutions” for 2008:
- To avoid travel by airplane. Success!
- To travel more miles on my bike than in my car. Success!
Based on odometer readings (and expense records):
- Giant Cypress bike: 1,817 miles (3.6 cents per mile)
- VW bus: 1,426 miles (average of 15.2 mpg; 27.2 cents per mile)
- Doesn’t include expenses or mileage with rented bikes. (I used a rented bike on visit to Vancouver.)
- Doesn’t include miles driving or riding in other people’s cars.
- Disregards travel by train (about 3,500 miles) and bus (mileage unknown).
- If I include the $145 I spent on a work stand and a new LED headlight for the bike, the cost per mile would rise to 11.6 cents.
Now I’m retiring from the resolution business, while I’m ahead.